- Paraffin wax is made from petroleum while soy wax is made from soybeans and is completely biodegradable.
- Both of these waxes are used to make candles that are available in a wide selection of fragrances.
Advantages of Paraffin Wax Candles
- Paraffin wax candles burn at a higher temperature than do soy candles.
- Paraffin can be formed into candlesticks, pillars, votives and other free-standing shapes.
Disadvantages of Paraffin Wax Candles
- Burning candles made from paraffin wax emit carcinogens into the air.
- This fast-burning wax creates a plethora of byproducts, including benzene, acetone, xylene, formaldehyde and acetaldehyde.
- The soot created from these candles has been known to cause asthma and allergies flareups.
Advantages of Soy Candles
- Soy wax burns slower and at a cooler temperature than does paraffin wax, which makes the candle last much longer.
- In addition to lasting longer, soy candles produce 90 percent less soot than paraffin candles.
- Because the soybeans used for these candles are made in the United States, every purchase of soy candles boosts the soybean market and helps support farmers.
Disadvantages of Soy Candles
- Soy candles are more opaque in color than paraffin candles and are more expensive than regular paraffin candles.
- Because these candles melt at a much lower temperature, they are only available in jars.
Whether you buy Soy or Paraffin candles, they all provide great satisfaction. All candles made today have excellent scent qualities and a huge range of fragrances. So, head out today and add a little mood to all of your events.